Venezuela seeks suspension of UN Security Council veto rights
Venezuela has called for wholesale reform of the United Nations, suspending veto rights of the five permanent Security Council members, enlarging the 15-member body, strengthening the General Assembly and opening up the election of Secretary-General.
“The Bolivarian [Venezuelan] Revolution plans to contribute to the rebuilding of the structure and agenda of the United Nations, which reflects the existing and unjust power relationships in the world,” Permanent Representative Jorge Valero told the Assembly.
“This forum ” as it is today “helps to reproduce those unjust relations inherited from the Second World War, becoming more exclusive and authoritarian as neo-liberal globalization advances.
Valero cited what he called the United States’ flouting of the overwhelming demand to end its economic blockade of Cuba and Israel’s refusal to comply with dozens of Council and Assembly resolutions as “two poignant examples that show this unfair and irrational world power architecture.”
A strategy to weaken the Assembly and exclude it from the most relevant world decisions, is being implemented while the Security Council progressively increases its power and influence on the UN agenda, and takes over subjects beyond the purview conferred to it by the UN Charter, he said.
“The rebuilding of the United Nations involves strengthening the General Assembly in the field of international peace and security,” he added, noting that for almost 20 years discussions have been going on about Council reform and strengthening the Assembly, but almost nothing has been achieved.
“Venezuela proposes to suspend the right of veto enjoyed by only five members of the United Nations [China, France, Russia, United Kingdom and US]. This remnant of the Second World War is incompatible with the principle of sovereign equality of States. Venezuela also proposes an increase of the membership of the Security Council in its permanent and non-permanent categories. Why are developing countries deprived of the right to partake in this forum?”
Valero also called for all States to propose candidates for the UN Secretariat to democratize the election.
“In line with democratic principles and transparency, Member States must participate in both the nomination and in the appointment of this senior official. Thus, States would be free to choose among several alternatives,” he said.
“The rebuilding of the United Nations also demands that the responsibilities in matters of international peace and security be fully exercised by the General Assembly as enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations.”
No comments yet.
or go to
From the Archives
Al-Manar | July 17, 2013
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu slammed a European Union directive requiring member states to boycott Israelis living in the West Bank and East al-Quds (Jerusalem).
In an emergency meeting on Tuesday, Netanyahu pledged: “We will not accept any outside diktat about our borders.”
“This issue will be decided only in direct negotiations between the sides,” he added.
The directive included conditions for future contacts between the EU and the Zionist entity.
Netanyahu said that EU was taking steps unilaterally, while paying less attention to urgent regional matters such as the Syrian conflict and Iran’s nuclear problem. … continue
Aletho News Exclusive Content
This article will examine some of the connections between the US and UK National Security apparatus and the appearance of the anthropogenic global warming (AGW) theory beginning after the accident at Three Mile Island. … continue
Also by Aletho News:
September 19, 2011
March 8, 2011
January 2, 2011
October 10, 2010
July 5, 2010
February 25, 2010
February 7, 2010
January 5, 2010
December 26, 2009
December 19, 2009
December 4, 2009
May 9, 2009
- Fuel storage tanks attacked in Libya militia battles July 23, 2014
- Interview with an international human shield in Gaza July 23, 2014
- Al-Shujayeh: Palestine’s Saigon July 23, 2014
- Lebanese soldier defects to al-Nusra Front July 23, 2014
- Gaza: Displaced Palestinians forced to leave UNRWA schools July 23, 2014
- ISIS says behind Baghdad bombing that killed 33 July 23, 2014
- UN rights chief: "strong possibility" Israel violating international law in Gaza July 23, 2014
- Italy arrests five over migrant boat massacre July 23, 2014
- International airlines cancel flights to and from Israeli airport July 23, 2014
- Abbas backs Hamas ceasefire demands as Gaza death toll reaches 660 July 23, 2014
- Palestinians threatened by settler and then detained by soldiers July 22, 2014
- Where will they go? July 22, 2014
- Wounded man killed by Israeli sniper on camera identified July 22, 2014
- Petras Books Clarify US Support for Zionism July 21, 2014
Categories"Hope and Change" Aletho News Civil Liberties Corruption Deception Economics Environmentalism Ethnic Cleansing, Racism, Zionism False Flag Terrorism Full Spectrum Dominance Illegal Occupation Islamophobia Mainstream Media, Warmongering Malthusian Ideology, Phony Scarcity Militarism Nuclear Power Science and Pseudo-Science Solidarity and Activism Subjugation - Torture Supremacism, Social Darwinism Timeless or most popular Video War Crimes Wars for Israel
Looking for something?
This site is provided as a research and reference tool. Although we make every reasonable effort to ensure that the information and data provided at this site are useful, accurate, and current, we cannot guarantee that the information and data provided here will be error-free. By using this site, you assume all responsibility for and risk arising from your use of and reliance upon the contents of this site.
This site and the information available through it do not, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Should you require legal advice, you should consult your own attorney.
Nothing within this site or linked to by this site constitutes investment advice or medical advice.
Materials accessible from or added to this site by third parties, such as comments posted, are strictly the responsibility of the third party who added such materials or made them accessible and we neither endorse nor undertake to control, monitor, edit or assume responsibility for any such third-party material.
The posting of stories, commentaries, reports, documents and links (embedded or otherwise) on this site does not in any way, shape or form, implied or otherwise, necessarily express or suggest endorsement or support of any of such posted material or parts therein.
The word "alleged" is deemed to occur before the word "fraud." Since the rule of law still applies. To peasants, at least.
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more info go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
This is information for anyone that wishes to challenge our “fair use” of copyrighted material.
If you are a legal copyright holder or a designated agent for such and you believe that content residing on or accessible through our website infringes a copyright and falls outside the boundaries of “Fair Use”, please send a notice of infringement by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will respond and take necessary action immediately.
If notice is given of an alleged copyright violation we will act expeditiously to remove or disable access to the material(s) in question.
All 3rd party material posted on this website is copyright the respective owners / authors. Aletho News makes no claim of copyright on such material.
Visits Since December 2009
- 1,802,249 hits
Contact:atheonews (at) gmail.com
- Dr. Tony Martin – Jewish Tactics In The Controversy Over Jewish Involvement in The Slave Trade July 23, 2014
- 24 Palestinians killed in Israeli assault on Gaza Wednesday morning July 23, 2014
- Netanyahu to be nominated for Nobel Peace Prize? July 23, 2014
- Twenty-four European doctors denounce Israeli assault on Gaza July 22, 2014
- Egypt turns back Tunisian plane loaded with medical supplies for Gaza July 22, 2014
- Israel shells Gaza school housing displaced Palestinians during UN inspection July 22, 2014
- Israeli Interior Minister Eli Yishai: There’s a Jewish gene July 22, 2014
- Kerry’s Poor Record for Veracity July 22, 2014
- 10 more questions Russian military pose to Ukraine, US over MH17 crash July 22, 2014
- Carrying on the Slaughter July 22, 2014
- How Obama is a Direct Accomplice in Israeli War Crimes July 22, 2014
- Israel fires “warning shots” into Al Jazeera office in Gaza July 22, 2014
- Israeli occupation massacres two families overnight July 22, 2014
- Israeli mainstream openly calling for genocide July 22, 2014
- If You Believed the US Secretary of State’s Poison Gas Lie, You’ll Love His Latest One July 21, 2014
- Mainstream Media Blind Spot in Gaza July 21, 2014
- Amnesty International and the War in Ukraine July 21, 2014
- The Arrest and Detention of Amer Jubran July 21, 2014
TagsAfghanistan Africa al-Akhbar Al-Manar American Civil Liberties Union American Israel Public Affairs Committee Argentina Bashar al-Assad Benjamin Netanyahu Brazil Britain Canada Central Intelligence Agency China CIA Colombia East Jerusalem Egypt European Union FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation France Fukushima Gaza George W. Bush Germany Gilad Atzmon Hamas Hebron Hezbollah Honduras Hugo Chávez Human rights India Intelligence International Atomic Energy Agency International Middle East Media Center International Solidarity Movement Internet Iran Iraq Iraq War Israel Israeli settlement Japan Jerusalem John Kerry Latin America Lebanon Libya Ma'an Middle East National Security Agency NATO New York Times NSA Obama Pakistan Palestine Palestinian prisoners in Israel Press TV Russia Sanctions against Iran Saudi Arabia South America Syria Turkey UK Ukraine United Nations United States USA Venezuela West Bank Zionism