1500 deaths reported in India custody
A human rights body says more than 1,500 people died in custody in India in 2010, most of them from being tortured.
According to the data released by India’s Human Rights Commission, most of the deaths in prison and police custody took place in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.
After Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Maharasthra recorded most deaths in custody with 136 and 130 counts respectively.
Twenty-two custodial deaths were also reported from the capital, New Delhi.
This is while the Indian government routinely attributes deaths in custody to illness, attempted escape, suicide and accidents.
The New Delhi-based Asian Center for Human Rights (ACHR) said in a report released on November 28, 2011, that 12,727 also died in judicial custody across India between 2001 and 2010.
“A large majority of these deaths are a direct consequence of torture in custody,” the ACHR said. “These deaths reflect only a fraction of the problem with torture and custodial deaths in India.”
“Torture remains endemic, institutionalized and central to the administration of justice and counter-terrorism measures,” the report added, urging the Indian government to demonstrate the “political will” to end the abuse.
1 Comment »
or go to
From the Archives
Peretz and the dangers of obsessive love
By Lawrence Davidson | September 20, 2010
Martin Peretz is editor-in-chief of the New Republic. He acquired that position by simply buying the magazine in 1974. Although he resold it to a group of investors in 2002, they were, and apparently remain, his ideological soul mates for he continues to this day to be the magazine’s executive editor.
Peretz’s New Republic is a far cry from the original magazine. … continue
Aletho News Exclusive Content
This article will examine some of the connections between the US and UK National Security apparatus and the appearance of the anthropogenic global warming (AGW) theory beginning after the accident at Three Mile Island. … continue
Also by Aletho News:
September 19, 2011
March 8, 2011
January 2, 2011
October 10, 2010
July 5, 2010
February 25, 2010
February 7, 2010
January 5, 2010
December 26, 2009
December 19, 2009
December 4, 2009
May 9, 2009
- 29th August 2014 | International Solidarity Movement, Nablus Team |Kufr Qaddum August 31, 2014
- 29th August 2014 |Bil’in Weekly demonstration August 31, 2014
- Even the sky belongs to us August 29, 2014
- Self-healing in Gaza August 29, 2014
- Injured and forced to walk August 27, 2014
- Obama Buggers Europe: Sanctions Deepen the Recession August 23, 2014
Looking for something?
TagsAfghanistan Africa al-Akhbar Al-Manar American Civil Liberties Union American Israel Public Affairs Committee Argentina Bashar al-Assad Benjamin Netanyahu Brazil Britain Canada Central Intelligence Agency China CIA Colombia East Jerusalem Egypt European Union FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation France Fukushima Gaza Germany Gilad Atzmon Hamas Hebron Hezbollah Honduras Hugo Chávez Human rights India Intelligence International Atomic Energy Agency International Middle East Media Center International Solidarity Movement Internet Iran Iraq Iraq War Israel Israeli settlement Japan Jerusalem John Kerry Latin America Lebanon Libya Ma'an Middle East National Security Agency NATO New York Times NSA Obama Pakistan Palestine Palestinian prisoners in Israel Police Press TV Russia Sanctions against Iran Saudi Arabia South America Syria Turkey UK Ukraine United Nations United States USA Venezuela West Bank Zionism
Visits Since December 2009
- 1,851,976 hits
Contact:atheonews (at) gmail.com
- Defending Apartheid: Then in South Africa, Now in Palestine September 1, 2014
- 2 million British households to miss energy rebate September 1, 2014
- Immortal Technique: The War vs Us All featuring Mumia Abu Jamal September 1, 2014
- Nebraska Cops Receive no Jail Time for Stealing Memory Card, Despite Big Talk from County Attorney August 31, 2014
- Five point action plan for political advocacy in the UK on Palestine around reconstruction August 31, 2014
- UK’s MI6 aided torture of Nepal rebels: Report August 31, 2014
- Jim Page: I’d Rather Be Dancing (Rachel Corrie’s Song) August 31, 2014
- Russian ‘Soldiers Mothers Committees’ — a US Covert Op? August 31, 2014
- Where do Ukraine’s rebels get arms from? Old Soviet bases, says Russia’s top brass August 30, 2014
- U.S. Senators Urge Ecuador to Restore Relations with Israel August 30, 2014
- So, I Asked the Russian Ambassador What He Thinks of NATO August 30, 2014
- US sanctions contravene Iran nuclear deal: FM spokeswoman August 30, 2014
- Laptop of Death, 2.0 August 30, 2014
- Declared missing: Russian diplomats detained in Kiev under dubious pretext August 30, 2014
- Citizen’s Arrest of Tony Blair: Megamix August 30, 2014
- NATO planning rapid-deployment force of 10,000 troops to counter Russia – report August 30, 2014
- Protestors mobilise for week-long protest against NATO summit in Wales August 29, 2014
- Liberals’ darling Elizabeth Warren defends Israeli attacks on Gaza schools and hospitals August 29, 2014
Categories"Hope and Change" Aletho News Civil Liberties Corruption Deception Economics Environmentalism Ethnic Cleansing, Racism, Zionism False Flag Terrorism Full Spectrum Dominance Illegal Occupation Islamophobia Mainstream Media, Warmongering Malthusian Ideology, Phony Scarcity Militarism Nuclear Power Science and Pseudo-Science Solidarity and Activism Subjugation - Torture Supremacism, Social Darwinism Timeless or most popular Video War Crimes Wars for Israel
This site is provided as a research and reference tool. Although we make every reasonable effort to ensure that the information and data provided at this site are useful, accurate, and current, we cannot guarantee that the information and data provided here will be error-free. By using this site, you assume all responsibility for and risk arising from your use of and reliance upon the contents of this site.
This site and the information available through it do not, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Should you require legal advice, you should consult your own attorney.
Nothing within this site or linked to by this site constitutes investment advice or medical advice.
Materials accessible from or added to this site by third parties, such as comments posted, are strictly the responsibility of the third party who added such materials or made them accessible and we neither endorse nor undertake to control, monitor, edit or assume responsibility for any such third-party material.
The posting of stories, commentaries, reports, documents and links (embedded or otherwise) on this site does not in any way, shape or form, implied or otherwise, necessarily express or suggest endorsement or support of any of such posted material or parts therein.
The word "alleged" is deemed to occur before the word "fraud." Since the rule of law still applies. To peasants, at least.
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more info go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
This is information for anyone that wishes to challenge our “fair use” of copyrighted material.
If you are a legal copyright holder or a designated agent for such and you believe that content residing on or accessible through our website infringes a copyright and falls outside the boundaries of “Fair Use”, please send a notice of infringement by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will respond and take necessary action immediately.
If notice is given of an alleged copyright violation we will act expeditiously to remove or disable access to the material(s) in question.
All 3rd party material posted on this website is copyright the respective owners / authors. Aletho News makes no claim of copyright on such material.