Israel excitedly rejects cooperation with UN over settlements
Israel has rejected cooperation with the United Nations in an investigation by the world body’s Human Rights Council to probe the impacts of Israeli settlements on the occupied Palestinian territories.
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday dismissed the resolution and attacked the UN human rights body, saying, “This council ought to be ashamed of itself,” The Jerusalem Post reported.
“This is a hypocritical council with an automatic majority against Israel,” he added.
Meanwhile, the Israeli foreign ministry dubbed the resolution “another surrealistic decision” and accused the council of promoting a one-sided political agenda.
On Thursday, the 47-member UN Human Rights Council adopted a resolution condemning Israel’s announcements of new settlement homes, and ordering an investigation into the effects of the Israeli settlements on the rights of Palestinians.
It was passed with 36 votes in favor, 10 abstentions and only one – the United States – against.
The resolution calls on Israel to “take and implement serious measures” such as confiscating arms to prevent acts of violence by Israeli settlers. The council, which met in Geneva, also passed four other resolutions critical of Israel.
Nabil Abu Rudeineh, the spokesman for the acting Palestinian Authority chief, Mahmoud Abbas, described the vote as a shift in position of the world in favor for the rights of Palestinians.
Nearly 500,000 Israelis live in more than 100 settlement units built since the 1967 Israeli occupation of the West Bank and East al-Quds (Jerusalem).
- Israel rejects cooperation with UN over settlements – RT (rt.com)
- United Nations Orders First Probe Of Israeli Settlements (altahrir.wordpress.com)
- Jewish settlers stealing Palestinian water springs: UN (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Israel bars Palestinian MP from going to Geneva to attend UN conference (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Israeli settlement waste ‘poisoning Palestinians’ (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Israeli government confirms plan for segregated settler train system (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Japanese Distributer Ends Contract With AHAVA (alethonews.wordpress.com)
No comments yet.