Study: CEO pay now 200 times more than a worker
Compensation for chief executives at American companies grew 15 percent in 2011 after a 28 percent rise in 2010, part of a larger trend that has seen CEO pay skyrocket over the last three decades. Workers, on the other hand, have been left behind.
Since 1978, CEO pay at American firms has risen 725 percent, more than 127 times faster than worker pay over the same time period, according to new data from the Economic Policy Institute:
From 1978 to 2011, CEO compensation increased more than 725 percent, a rise substantially greater than stock market growth and the painfully slow 5.7 percent growth in worker compensation over the same period.
In 1978, CEOs took home 26.5 times more than the average worker. They now make roughly 206 times more than workers, EPI found. The pay isn’t always tied to the performance of their businesses – as ThinkProgress has noted, CEOs at companies like Bank of America often pocket huge pay increases even as the company’s stock price plummets and jobs are cut.
As a result, American income inequality has skyrocketed, growing worse than it is in countries like Pakistan and Ivory Coast. Wealth inequality is worse than it was even in Ancient Rome. And, as pay skyrockets and tax rates fall for the richest Americans, the rising inequality has left the bottom 95 percent of Americans saddled with more debt than ever before. – thinkprogress.org
Workers’ wages aren’t tied to productivity either. Despite substantial gains in productivity since the 1970s, worker pay has remained flat. According to Labor Department data cited by the Huffington Post, inflation-adjusted wages fell 2 percent in 2011. – thinkprogress.org
Working and middle-class Americans have seen their debt balloon since the 1980s. Today, Americans owe some $704 billion in credit card debt, and more than that in both auto loans and student borrowing. CNN
- Executive Excess in the New Gilded Age (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Maxing Out (alethonews.wordpress.com)
3 Comments »
or go to
From the Archives
Al-Manar | July 17, 2013
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu slammed a European Union directive requiring member states to boycott Israelis living in the West Bank and East al-Quds (Jerusalem).
In an emergency meeting on Tuesday, Netanyahu pledged: “We will not accept any outside diktat about our borders.”
“This issue will be decided only in direct negotiations between the sides,” he added.
The directive included conditions for future contacts between the EU and the Zionist entity.
Netanyahu said that EU was taking steps unilaterally, while paying less attention to urgent regional matters such as the Syrian conflict and Iran’s nuclear problem. … continue
Aletho News Exclusive Content
This article will examine some of the connections between the US and UK National Security apparatus and the appearance of the anthropogenic global warming (AGW) theory beginning after the accident at Three Mile Island. … continue
Also by Aletho News:
September 19, 2011
March 8, 2011
January 2, 2011
October 10, 2010
July 5, 2010
February 25, 2010
February 7, 2010
January 5, 2010
December 26, 2009
December 19, 2009
December 4, 2009
May 9, 2009
- Fuel storage tanks attacked in Libya militia battles July 23, 2014
- Interview with an international human shield in Gaza July 23, 2014
- Al-Shujayeh: Palestine’s Saigon July 23, 2014
- Lebanese soldier defects to al-Nusra Front July 23, 2014
- Gaza: Displaced Palestinians forced to leave UNRWA schools July 23, 2014
- ISIS says behind Baghdad bombing that killed 33 July 23, 2014
- UN rights chief: "strong possibility" Israel violating international law in Gaza July 23, 2014
- Italy arrests five over migrant boat massacre July 23, 2014
- International airlines cancel flights to and from Israeli airport July 23, 2014
- Abbas backs Hamas ceasefire demands as Gaza death toll reaches 660 July 23, 2014
- Palestinians threatened by settler and then detained by soldiers July 22, 2014
- Where will they go? July 22, 2014
- Wounded man killed by Israeli sniper on camera identified July 22, 2014
- Petras Books Clarify US Support for Zionism July 21, 2014
Categories"Hope and Change" Aletho News Civil Liberties Corruption Deception Economics Environmentalism Ethnic Cleansing, Racism, Zionism False Flag Terrorism Full Spectrum Dominance Illegal Occupation Islamophobia Mainstream Media, Warmongering Malthusian Ideology, Phony Scarcity Militarism Nuclear Power Science and Pseudo-Science Solidarity and Activism Subjugation - Torture Supremacism, Social Darwinism Timeless or most popular Video War Crimes Wars for Israel
Looking for something?
This site is provided as a research and reference tool. Although we make every reasonable effort to ensure that the information and data provided at this site are useful, accurate, and current, we cannot guarantee that the information and data provided here will be error-free. By using this site, you assume all responsibility for and risk arising from your use of and reliance upon the contents of this site.
This site and the information available through it do not, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Should you require legal advice, you should consult your own attorney.
Nothing within this site or linked to by this site constitutes investment advice or medical advice.
Materials accessible from or added to this site by third parties, such as comments posted, are strictly the responsibility of the third party who added such materials or made them accessible and we neither endorse nor undertake to control, monitor, edit or assume responsibility for any such third-party material.
The posting of stories, commentaries, reports, documents and links (embedded or otherwise) on this site does not in any way, shape or form, implied or otherwise, necessarily express or suggest endorsement or support of any of such posted material or parts therein.
The word "alleged" is deemed to occur before the word "fraud." Since the rule of law still applies. To peasants, at least.
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more info go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
This is information for anyone that wishes to challenge our “fair use” of copyrighted material.
If you are a legal copyright holder or a designated agent for such and you believe that content residing on or accessible through our website infringes a copyright and falls outside the boundaries of “Fair Use”, please send a notice of infringement by contacting email@example.com.
We will respond and take necessary action immediately.
If notice is given of an alleged copyright violation we will act expeditiously to remove or disable access to the material(s) in question.
All 3rd party material posted on this website is copyright the respective owners / authors. Aletho News makes no claim of copyright on such material.
Visits Since December 2009
- 1,802,209 hits
Contact:atheonews (at) gmail.com
- Dr. Tony Martin – Jewish Tactics In The Controversy Over Jewish Involvement in The Slave Trade July 23, 2014
- 24 Palestinians killed in Israeli assault on Gaza Wednesday morning July 23, 2014
- Netanyahu to be nominated for Nobel Peace Prize? July 23, 2014
- Twenty-four European doctors denounce Israeli assault on Gaza July 22, 2014
- Egypt turns back Tunisian plane loaded with medical supplies for Gaza July 22, 2014
- Israel shells Gaza school housing displaced Palestinians during UN inspection July 22, 2014
- Israeli Interior Minister Eli Yishai: There’s a Jewish gene July 22, 2014
- Kerry’s Poor Record for Veracity July 22, 2014
- 10 more questions Russian military pose to Ukraine, US over MH17 crash July 22, 2014
- Carrying on the Slaughter July 22, 2014
- How Obama is a Direct Accomplice in Israeli War Crimes July 22, 2014
- Israel fires “warning shots” into Al Jazeera office in Gaza July 22, 2014
- Israeli occupation massacres two families overnight July 22, 2014
- Israeli mainstream openly calling for genocide July 22, 2014
- If You Believed the US Secretary of State’s Poison Gas Lie, You’ll Love His Latest One July 21, 2014
- Mainstream Media Blind Spot in Gaza July 21, 2014
- Amnesty International and the War in Ukraine July 21, 2014
- The Arrest and Detention of Amer Jubran July 21, 2014
TagsAfghanistan Africa al-Akhbar Al-Manar American Civil Liberties Union American Israel Public Affairs Committee Argentina Bashar al-Assad Benjamin Netanyahu Brazil Britain Canada Central Intelligence Agency China CIA Colombia East Jerusalem Egypt European Union FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation France Fukushima Gaza George W. Bush Germany Gilad Atzmon Hamas Hebron Hezbollah Honduras Hugo Chávez Human rights India Intelligence International Atomic Energy Agency International Middle East Media Center International Solidarity Movement Internet Iran Iraq Iraq War Israel Israeli settlement Japan Jerusalem John Kerry Latin America Lebanon Libya Ma'an Middle East National Security Agency NATO New York Times NSA Obama Pakistan Palestine Palestinian prisoners in Israel Press TV Russia Sanctions against Iran Saudi Arabia South America Syria Turkey UK Ukraine United Nations United States USA Venezuela West Bank Zionism