Pakistan condemns deadly bombings in India
Pakistan has condemned the twin deadly bomb explosions in the Indian city of Hyderabad which left at least 20 people dead.
“Terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security,” Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
“Being itself a victim of terrorism, Pakistan fully understands and shares the pain and agony of the people of India. Our prayers and thoughts are with the families of victims of this terrorist attack,” the statement added.
A bomb went off on Thursday evening near a popular cinema called Venkatadri Cinema in the district of Dilsukh Nagar which is one of the largest commercial centers in Hyderabad. Minutes later, a second blast took place next to a nearby bus stop.
Indian police have said that they had been informed of plans for a possible attack in the Hyderabad area last year.
“We interrogated two militants [from the Indian Mujahideen group], who said they had recced (reconnoitered) various spots in Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Pune for a possible attack. One of the places they mentioned was Dilsukh Nagar, which was hit last night,” said S.N. Shrivastava, a Delhi police commissioner.
According to reports, since 1992, at least nine bomb blasts have rocked Heydarabad including three bomb explosions in 2007 that claimed the lives of at least 51 people.
In 2008, the Indian city of Mumbai came under a bomb attack. India accused the Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) of training, equipping, and financing those responsible for the killings of at least 166 people with support from “elements” in the Pakistani military.
Islamabad admitted that the attacks were partly planned on its soil, but has firmly denied allegations of any official involvement.
- Pakistan condemns India bomb attacks (dawn.com)
- You: Pakistan condemns bomb blasts in Indian Hyderabad (nation.com.pk)