Venezuela seeks suspension of UN Security Council veto rights
Venezuela has called for wholesale reform of the United Nations, suspending veto rights of the five permanent Security Council members, enlarging the 15-member body, strengthening the General Assembly and opening up the election of Secretary-General.
“The Bolivarian [Venezuelan] Revolution plans to contribute to the rebuilding of the structure and agenda of the United Nations, which reflects the existing and unjust power relationships in the world,” Permanent Representative Jorge Valero told the Assembly.
“This forum ” as it is today “helps to reproduce those unjust relations inherited from the Second World War, becoming more exclusive and authoritarian as neo-liberal globalization advances.
Valero cited what he called the United States’ flouting of the overwhelming demand to end its economic blockade of Cuba and Israel’s refusal to comply with dozens of Council and Assembly resolutions as “two poignant examples that show this unfair and irrational world power architecture.”
A strategy to weaken the Assembly and exclude it from the most relevant world decisions, is being implemented while the Security Council progressively increases its power and influence on the UN agenda, and takes over subjects beyond the purview conferred to it by the UN Charter, he said.
“The rebuilding of the United Nations involves strengthening the General Assembly in the field of international peace and security,” he added, noting that for almost 20 years discussions have been going on about Council reform and strengthening the Assembly, but almost nothing has been achieved.
“Venezuela proposes to suspend the right of veto enjoyed by only five members of the United Nations [China, France, Russia, United Kingdom and US]. This remnant of the Second World War is incompatible with the principle of sovereign equality of States. Venezuela also proposes an increase of the membership of the Security Council in its permanent and non-permanent categories. Why are developing countries deprived of the right to partake in this forum?”
Valero also called for all States to propose candidates for the UN Secretariat to democratize the election.
“In line with democratic principles and transparency, Member States must participate in both the nomination and in the appointment of this senior official. Thus, States would be free to choose among several alternatives,” he said.
“The rebuilding of the United Nations also demands that the responsibilities in matters of international peace and security be fully exercised by the General Assembly as enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations.”
No comments yet.
or go to
From the Archives
Consortium News | June 2, 2016
Neoliberal dogma holds that “free trade” brings peace and thus Donald Trump’s criticism of trade deals presages war. But that view is not only bad history but ignores valid points that Trump raises, says James W Carden. – Read article
Aletho News Exclusive Content
This article will examine some of the connections between the US and UK National Security apparatus and the appearance of the anthropogenic global warming (AGW) theory beginning after the accident at Three Mile Island. … continue
Also by Aletho News:
March 8, 2011
February 25, 2010
February 7, 2010
December 26, 2009
December 4, 2009
May 9, 2009
Visits Since December 2009
- 2,773,166 hits
Follow Aletho News on TwitterMy Tweets
aletho on Disgraced ex-NBC ‘fake news’ j… rediscover911com on Disgraced ex-NBC ‘fake news’ j… Brian Harry Australi… on Clinton to Congress: Take acti… rediscover911com on Clinton to Congress: Take acti… traducteur on Israeli wildfires expose Netan… aletho on Israeli wildfires expose Netan… Greg Bacon on Israeli wildfires expose Netan… Brian Harry Australi… on Israeli wildfires expose Netan… Brian Harry Australi… on UN resolution demanding that I… Buddy on German lawmaker warns Facebook… silbershark110 on Twitter and Facebook Censorshi… rediscover911com on Google, Facebook, Microsoft, a… rediscover911com on Google, Facebook, Microsoft, a… traducteur on Witch Hunt: “Fake News” Softwa… aletho on Witch Hunt: “Fake News” Softwa…
- Disgraced ex-NBC ‘fake news’ journalist Brian Williams on crusade against false reporting December 9, 2016
- Conflict instigators must foot humanitarian crises bills – Russian Emergencies Minister to UN December 9, 2016
- Clinton to Congress: Take action against ‘epidemic of fake news’ December 9, 2016
- 2017 NDAA ups aid to Ukraine, gives arms to Syrian rebels & lets Trump sanction the world December 9, 2016
- NYT, WaPo Fake News Still Bringing Real Guns to Iraq, Killing Thousands December 8, 2016
- Obama grants waiver for military support of foreign fighters in Syria – White House December 8, 2016
- Israeli police say singing event was organized to ‘sympathize with terrorists’ December 8, 2016
- Israeli wildfires expose Netanyahu’s burning hatred December 8, 2016
- UN resolution demanding that Israel rescind its Golan annexation decision December 8, 2016
- German lawmaker warns Facebook to censor “hate speech” or face consequences December 8, 2016
- Twitter and Facebook Censorship and Mainstream Media Denial December 8, 2016
- Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and Twitter Become the Gatekeepers December 8, 2016
- Journalism Fail: Washington Post Story on ‘Fake News’ Was Fake December 8, 2016
- Witch Hunt: “Fake News” Software Touted by CBS News December 7, 2016
- What The Weather Channel Doesn’t Want You To Know About Glaciers December 7, 2016
- Steve McIntyre’s comment to Dilbert creator, Scott Adams, on climate “experts” December 7, 2016
- Russia Awaits From Germany Specific Details on Arms Control Deal Initiative December 7, 2016
- UK think tank covertly funded by Bahrain royal family – leaked papers December 7, 2016
- Clinton’s ‘Russia Did It’ Cop-out December 9, 2016
- Trump’s Biggest Test So Far December 8, 2016
- Syrian army suspends operations in Aleppo, jihadis to surrender remaining positions in city December 8, 2016
- Russia Remains the Only Target Country of NATO’s Nuclear Weapons December 8, 2016
- Chosen Leaders, Proven Failures and Political Debacles December 5, 2016
- Join now: ISM-Training in England! December 6, 2016
- New checkpoints, access control-buildings and street-signs in the historical center of Hebron December 6, 2016
- Umm al-Hiran, a village off the maps December 2, 2016
Looking for something?
Categories"Hope and Change" Aletho News Book Review Civil Liberties Corruption Deception Economics Environmentalism Ethnic Cleansing, Racism, Zionism False Flag Terrorism Full Spectrum Dominance Illegal Occupation Islamophobia Mainstream Media, Warmongering Militarism Nuclear Power Science and Pseudo-Science Solidarity and Activism Subjugation - Torture Supremacism, Social Darwinism Timeless or most popular Video War Crimes Wars for Israel
Tags9/11 Afghanistan Africa AIPAC al-Qaeda Argentina BBC Benjamin Netanyahu Brazil Canada Central Intelligence Agency China CIA Colombia Cuba Da’esh Donald Trump Egypt EU European Union FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation France Gaza Germany Hamas Hebron Hezbollah Hillary Clinton Honduras Human rights India International Atomic Energy Agency International Solidarity Movement Iran Iraq Iraq War ISIL ISIS Israel Israeli settlement Japan Jerusalem John Kerry Latin America Lebanon Libya Mexico Middle East Military National Security Agency NATO New York Times NSA Obama Pakistan Palestine Police Press TV Qatar Russia Sanctions against Iran Saudi Arabia Syria Turkey UK Ukraine United Nations United States USA Venezuela Washington Post West Bank Yemen Zionism
Contact:atheonews (at) gmail.com
This site is provided as a research and reference tool. Although we make every reasonable effort to ensure that the information and data provided at this site are useful, accurate, and current, we cannot guarantee that the information and data provided here will be error-free. By using this site, you assume all responsibility for and risk arising from your use of and reliance upon the contents of this site.
This site and the information available through it do not, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Should you require legal advice, you should consult your own attorney.
Nothing within this site or linked to by this site constitutes investment advice or medical advice.
Materials accessible from or added to this site by third parties, such as comments posted, are strictly the responsibility of the third party who added such materials or made them accessible and we neither endorse nor undertake to control, monitor, edit or assume responsibility for any such third-party material.
The posting of stories, commentaries, reports, documents and links (embedded or otherwise) on this site does not in any way, shape or form, implied or otherwise, necessarily express or suggest endorsement or support of any of such posted material or parts therein.
The word "alleged" is deemed to occur before the word "fraud." Since the rule of law still applies. To peasants, at least.
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more info go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
This is information for anyone that wishes to challenge our “fair use” of copyrighted material.
If you are a legal copyright holder or a designated agent for such and you believe that content residing on or accessible through our website infringes a copyright and falls outside the boundaries of “Fair Use”, please send a notice of infringement by contacting email@example.com.
We will respond and take necessary action immediately.
If notice is given of an alleged copyright violation we will act expeditiously to remove or disable access to the material(s) in question.
All 3rd party material posted on this website is copyright the respective owners / authors. Aletho News makes no claim of copyright on such material.
Site infoAletho News
Blog at WordPress.com.