WAFA: Israeli Forces Commit 25 Violations Against Journalists in February
The Palestinian News and Information Agency, WAFA, issued a report on Monday documenting the violations committed by Israeli forces against Palestinian journalists during February 2012.
The report stated 11 journalists were injured during the 25 violations. The majority of injuries were a direct result of the military firing tear gas and rubber-coated steel bullets. 11 other cases of detention and arrests by Israeli troops against journalists were documented by WAFA.
WAFA noted in its report that the Israeli military attacked three Palestinian Media companies during the month of February. During the incident Israeli troops stormed the offices of WATAN TV,and AL Qudes Educational TV in Ramallah. On 29th February staff working there were detained, computers were taken along with broadcast equipment leaving the two stations off-air.
According to the Report most injuries journalists sustained happened while they were covering anti wall protests in West Bank villages. Soldiers used tear gas and rubber-coated steel bullets against unarmed civilians. The report noted that Israeli soldiers deliberately opened fire during these protests at journalists, clearly violating international law.
- Israeli Troops Break Into Homes, Offices of Three Palestinian MPs (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Inside the TV channel raided by Israel (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Israel raids Ramallah TV stations (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Union condemns Israel extending journalist detention (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Israeli soldiers raid office, home of detained journalist (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Israeli forces attack press with ‘total impunity’ (alethonews.wordpress.com)
No comments yet.