Palestinian lawmaker wounded in Land Day protest
Palestinian lawmaker Mustafa Barghouti
Palestinian lawmaker Mustafa Barghouti has been injured by Israeli forces attacking peaceful demonstrations marking international Land Day, Press TV reports.
Barghouti was wounded on Friday in the city of al-Quds (Jerusalem) where he attended a Land Day rally.
Israeli forces opened fire on peaceful pro-Palestinian rallies across the occupied Palestinian territories, with clashes underway between Israeli troops and Palestinians in the occupied West Bank city of Qalandiya.
Earlier reports said at least two protesters were injured by Israeli troops and several others were arrested.
More demonstrations were planned for after the Friday Prayers across the West Bank and Gaza Strip as well as in East al-Quds (Jerusalem) despite Tel Aviv restricting access to al-Aqsa Mosque for the weekly prayers.
Pro-Palestinian rallies have been held near border areas in Lebanon and similar demonstrations are expected in Egypt, Jordan, and Syria where activists will also march towards the Palestinian borders.
The rallies, joined by international human rights activists, are part of an international campaign named Global March on al-Quds (Jerusalem), a peaceful international movement that also condemns the Israeli occupation of the holy city.
The event marks Land Day and the Israeli military’s deadly attack on Palestinians peacefully protesting Tel Aviv’s land policies in 1967.
The demonstrations have prompted Tel Aviv to deploy thousands of police and armed forces across the occupied Palestinian territories and around border areas near Lebanon and Jordan.
- Marwan Barghouti: A Decade of Defiance (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- On the eve of Land Day: Al Quds anticipates the Global March (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- The Global March to Jerusalem, a brave and admirable attempt to awaken the world’s conscience (altahrir.wordpress.com)
- Israel Warns Against Global March to Jerusalem (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- American arms used to kill Palestinians; US complicit in Israeli crimes: Report (alethonews.wordpress.com)
No comments yet.