Study: CEO pay now 200 times more than a worker
Compensation for chief executives at American companies grew 15 percent in 2011 after a 28 percent rise in 2010, part of a larger trend that has seen CEO pay skyrocket over the last three decades. Workers, on the other hand, have been left behind.
Since 1978, CEO pay at American firms has risen 725 percent, more than 127 times faster than worker pay over the same time period, according to new data from the Economic Policy Institute:
From 1978 to 2011, CEO compensation increased more than 725 percent, a rise substantially greater than stock market growth and the painfully slow 5.7 percent growth in worker compensation over the same period.
In 1978, CEOs took home 26.5 times more than the average worker. They now make roughly 206 times more than workers, EPI found. The pay isn’t always tied to the performance of their businesses – as ThinkProgress has noted, CEOs at companies like Bank of America often pocket huge pay increases even as the company’s stock price plummets and jobs are cut.
As a result, American income inequality has skyrocketed, growing worse than it is in countries like Pakistan and Ivory Coast. Wealth inequality is worse than it was even in Ancient Rome. And, as pay skyrockets and tax rates fall for the richest Americans, the rising inequality has left the bottom 95 percent of Americans saddled with more debt than ever before. – thinkprogress.org
Workers’ wages aren’t tied to productivity either. Despite substantial gains in productivity since the 1970s, worker pay has remained flat. According to Labor Department data cited by the Huffington Post, inflation-adjusted wages fell 2 percent in 2011. – thinkprogress.org
Working and middle-class Americans have seen their debt balloon since the 1980s. Today, Americans owe some $704 billion in credit card debt, and more than that in both auto loans and student borrowing. CNN
- Executive Excess in the New Gilded Age (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Maxing Out (alethonews.wordpress.com)
3 Comments »
or go to
… When naive individuals suggest that maintaining a large government conspiracy in America is simply impossible because “somebody would have talked” perhaps they should consider the implications of this incident, which occurred so close to the media capital of the world.
And if they ever decide to trust Wikipedia on any remotely controversial topic, they should consult the 10,000 word Wikipedia article on TWA Flight 800, comparing that exhaustive presentation with the simple facts provided in this article, or the wealth of additional information in the numerous books and documentaries upon which my treatment was based. … Read full article
Aletho News Exclusive Content
This article will examine some of the connections between the US and UK National Security apparatus and the appearance of the anthropogenic global warming (AGW) theory beginning after the accident at Three Mile Island. … continue
Also by Aletho News:
March 8, 2011
February 25, 2010
February 7, 2010
December 26, 2009
December 4, 2009
May 9, 2009
- Reduced to a number – robbing Palestinians of their humanity September 26, 2016
- Hundreds inspired at the launching of the Palestinian Youth Forum September 25, 2016
- World Week of Peace 2016 September 24, 2016
- MH17 Inquiry: “To Whose Benefit?” September 28, 2016
- Interview With Al-Nusra Commander “The Americans stand on our side” September 28, 2016
- The Brilliant Boris Johnson Explains Syria Conflict in Four Short Points September 28, 2016
- Menwith Menace: Britain’s Complicity In Saudi Arabia’s Terror Campaign Against Yemen September 27, 2016
- The Politics of Bombing: Wholesale, Retail and Improvised September 28, 2016
Tags9/11 Afghanistan Africa AIPAC al-Qaeda Argentina BBC Benjamin Netanyahu Brazil Canada Central Intelligence Agency China CIA Colombia Cuba Da’esh Donald Trump Egypt EU European Union FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation France Gaza Germany Hamas Hebron Hezbollah Hillary Clinton Honduras Human rights India International Atomic Energy Agency International Solidarity Movement Iran Iraq Iraq War ISIL ISIS Israel Israeli settlement Japan Jerusalem John Kerry Latin America Lebanon Libya Mexico Middle East Military National Security Agency NATO New York Times NSA Obama Pakistan Palestine Police Press TV Qatar Russia Sanctions against Iran Saudi Arabia Syria Turkey UK Ukraine United Nations United States USA Venezuela Washington Post West Bank Yemen Zionism
masteradrian on International investigators al… Brian Harry, Austral… on Israeli Nuke-Washing on the Wo… Brian Harry, Austral… on Who is ‘nuclear saber’ rattlin… Brian Harry, Austral… on DHS Secretary Refuses to Comme… Brian Harry, Austral… on Where Is That Wasteful Governm… Brian Harry, Austral… on Canadian professor libelously… traducteur on Canadian professor libelously… Greg Bacon on Canadian professor libelously… Stan Squires on Palestinian women prisoners to… traducteur on Who is ‘nuclear saber’ rattlin… aletho on Afghans Learned the Art of Tor… masteradrian on Afghans Learned the Art of Tor… aletho on Where Is That Wasteful Governm… Brian Harry, Austral… on Where Is That Wasteful Governm… Brian Harry, Austral… on ‘US failed to do its side of I…
Visits Since December 2009
- 2,707,126 hits
Contact:atheonews (at) gmail.com
- Troubling Gaps in the New MH-17 Report September 28, 2016
- Moscow says US failed to separate rebels from terrorists in response to US ultimatum over Syria September 28, 2016
- US Outcry over Syria… Tears Followed By NATO Bombs September 28, 2016
- DHS Secretary Refuses to Comment on Clinton Claims Russia Behind Election Hack September 28, 2016
- International investigators allowed Ukraine to fabricate MH17 evidence – Russia September 28, 2016
- Canadian professor libelously targeted as “anti-semite” in coordinated attack September 28, 2016
- Israeli Nuke-Washing on the World Stage September 28, 2016
- Who is ‘nuclear saber’ rattling in Europe? September 28, 2016
- Prominent Latin American Scientists Say Bill Gates’ Golden Rice Is a Total Failure September 28, 2016
- Afghans Learned the Art of Torturing Their Prisoners From the West September 28, 2016
- Silenced: Flight 800 And The Subversion Of Justice September 28, 2016
- Where Is That Wasteful Government Spending? September 28, 2016
- Billions Down the Afghanistan Drain September 28, 2016
- ‘US failed to do its side of Iran deal’ September 27, 2016
- NY Times Bureau Chief Serves Israeli Agenda: Distorting History, Ignoring Oppression September 27, 2016
- Trump and 9/11 September 27, 2016
- The Anglo-American War Machine September 27, 2016
- Israel’s $38 Billion Scam September 27, 2016
Looking for something?
Categories"Hope and Change" Aletho News Book Review Civil Liberties Corruption Deception Economics Environmentalism Ethnic Cleansing, Racism, Zionism False Flag Terrorism Full Spectrum Dominance Illegal Occupation Islamophobia Mainstream Media, Warmongering Militarism Nuclear Power Science and Pseudo-Science Solidarity and Activism Subjugation - Torture Supremacism, Social Darwinism Timeless or most popular Video War Crimes Wars for Israel
This site is provided as a research and reference tool. Although we make every reasonable effort to ensure that the information and data provided at this site are useful, accurate, and current, we cannot guarantee that the information and data provided here will be error-free. By using this site, you assume all responsibility for and risk arising from your use of and reliance upon the contents of this site.
This site and the information available through it do not, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Should you require legal advice, you should consult your own attorney.
Nothing within this site or linked to by this site constitutes investment advice or medical advice.
Materials accessible from or added to this site by third parties, such as comments posted, are strictly the responsibility of the third party who added such materials or made them accessible and we neither endorse nor undertake to control, monitor, edit or assume responsibility for any such third-party material.
The posting of stories, commentaries, reports, documents and links (embedded or otherwise) on this site does not in any way, shape or form, implied or otherwise, necessarily express or suggest endorsement or support of any of such posted material or parts therein.
The word "alleged" is deemed to occur before the word "fraud." Since the rule of law still applies. To peasants, at least.
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more info go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
This is information for anyone that wishes to challenge our “fair use” of copyrighted material.
If you are a legal copyright holder or a designated agent for such and you believe that content residing on or accessible through our website infringes a copyright and falls outside the boundaries of “Fair Use”, please send a notice of infringement by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will respond and take necessary action immediately.
If notice is given of an alleged copyright violation we will act expeditiously to remove or disable access to the material(s) in question.
All 3rd party material posted on this website is copyright the respective owners / authors. Aletho News makes no claim of copyright on such material.
Site infoAletho News
Blog at WordPress.com.