What Happened to South Africa’s Freedom Charter
In 1994, the African National Congress of South Africa made a deal with the devil. There would be one-person, one-vote, majority rule of electoral politics. But corporate power over the South African economy would not be tampered with, and white civil servants would be guaranteed they could keep their well-paying jobs, for life. The ANC also set itself another goal: to create a class of Black millionaires.
Much earlier, the ANC had made a solemn commitment to the broad masses of people. It’s called the Freedom Charter, adopted in 1955, which served as the unifying document of the struggle against apartheid that culminated in the elections that brought the ANC to power. The Freedom Charter promised that “the national wealth of [the] country, the heritage of South Africans, shall be restored to the people;” that “the mineral wealth beneath the soil, the Banks and monopoly industry shall be transferred to the ownership of the people as a whole;” that “all other industry and trade shall be controlled to assist the wellbeing of the people; all the land re-divided amongst those who work it to banish famine and land hunger;” and that “all shall have the right to occupy land wherever they choose.”
Yet, none of this has come to pass. The Freedom Charter is absolutely incompatible with the deal the ANC made for a peaceful transition to Black majority rule. If corporate privileges are untouched, there can be no collective ownership of the mineral wealth, the soil, the banks and industries. And social systems that breed new Black millionaires – or millionaires of any kind – cannot possibly give priority to the well-being of the masses of people.
South Africa was one of the most unequal places in the world in 1994, and it is at least as unequal, today – because of the deal cut by the ANC. The covenant with white privilege and corporate power was also entered into by the ANC’s partners: the South African Communist Party and the Congress of South African Trade Unions, COSATU. Thus, the three pillars of the liberation movement agreed that they would not upset the existing corporate framework, and they would not implement the clearly socialist aims of the Freedom Charter. Instead, they nurtured a tiny, Black capitalist class made up largely of ANC insiders. Union leaders became rich men, while conditions for the poor and working classes deteriorated.
These chickens have now come home to roost, especially following the massacre of 34 miners at Marikana. The mining industry is in turmoil, with 41 percent of South Africa’s gold output shut down. Hundreds of thousands of municipal workers will go on strike this week to protest poor pay and corruption. Yet the official voice of labor, COSATU, cannot credibly claim to represent the interests of working people when it is a partner of the ruling party whose police kill, beat and imprison workers.
This fundamentally corrupt arrangement has run its course. There will be nothing but mass bloodshed at the end of this journey unless the African National Congress breaks the pact that it made with corporate power, in 1994. The ANC stands at a crossroads, and must make a turn.
Glen Ford can be contacted at Glen.Ford@BlackAgendaReport.com.
- South Africa’s Unfinished Revolution and the Massacre at Marikana (alethonews.wordpress.com)
October 17, 2012 - Posted by aletho | Civil Liberties, Corruption, Supremacism, Social Darwinism | African National Congress, ANC, Congress of South African Trade Unions, COSATU, Freedom Charter, South Africa, South African Communist Party
2 Comments »
or go to
From the Archives
By GARY LEUPP | CounterPunch | September 20, 2013
1. Which of the following is the most accurate statement?
1. chemical weapons were first used during the First World War
2. chemical weapons were invented and first used in the 19th century
3. chemical weapons have been around since prehistoric people first put poisons on arrowheads
4. the first real chemical weapon was “Greek Fire” invented by the Byzantines in the 7th century
5. chemical weapons were first produced in the 18th century, based on formulae found in Leonardo da Vinci’s rediscovered writings
Aletho News Original Content
By Aletho News | January 9, 2012
This article will examine some of the connections between the US and UK National Security apparatus and the appearance of the anthropogenic global warming (AGW) theory beginning after the accident at Three Mile Island. … continue
Also by Aletho News:
March 8, 2011
February 25, 2010
February 7, 2010
December 26, 2009
December 4, 2009
May 9, 2009
Visits Since December 2009
- 2,896,913 hits
Follow Aletho News on TwitterMy Tweets
aletho on Using Children for Israeli… aletho on French ‘Proof’ Tha… Brian Harry, Austral… on The Guardian Takes Aim at Vene… Brian Harry, Austral… on Israel is Trying to Legitimize… Brian Harry, Austral… on French ‘Proof’ Tha… Eddie Herbert on Israel is Trying to Legitimize… Anthony Clifton on Using Children for Israeli… NobodysaysBOO on Israel is Trying to Legitimize… James on Israel is Trying to Legitimize… roberthstiver on Israel is Trying to Legitimize… traducteur on Using Children for Israeli… redracam on French ‘Proof’ Tha… roberthstiver on Intel Vets Voice Doubts on Syr… redracam on Intel Vets Voice Doubts on Syr… Brian Harry, Austral… on French ‘Proof’ Tha…
- Who are the killers? April 27, 2017
- Using Children for Israeli Propaganda April 27, 2017
- Israel is Trying to Legitimize Airstrikes on Syria April 27, 2017
- The Guardian Takes Aim at Venezuela’s Democracy April 27, 2017
- Why Is Britain Rattling its Nuclear Saber and What Could Be the Consequences? April 27, 2017
- South Korean Protesters Think THAAD System Aimed at Russia, China, Not DPRK April 27, 2017
- Shift in Trump Policy on North Korea April 27, 2017
- Trump’s North Korean Obsession April 27, 2017
- Intel Vets Voice Doubts on Syrian Crisis April 27, 2017
- US missile shield aims to cover sudden nuclear strike against Russia – General Staff April 27, 2017
- French ‘Proof’ That Assad Used Sarin in Khan Sheikhoun Turns out to Be Complete BS April 26, 2017
- Japan Proceeds With Controversial New US Air Base on Okinawa April 26, 2017
- Lavrov: US Inability to Ratify Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Raises Questions April 26, 2017
- South Koreans protest movement of US THAAD Missile System April 26, 2017
- US to launch Minuteman III ICBM to show ‘nuclear capabilities’ amid N. Korea tensions April 26, 2017
- Dissent on the Lower East Side: the Post-Political Condition April 26, 2017
- As Protests Rage in Venezuela, US Media Silent on Pro-Government Movements April 26, 2017
- Chavista Trade Unionist Kidnapped and Murdered in Venezuela April 26, 2017
- Endgame: Comparing results and intentions in the terrorism narrative April 27, 2017
- Debunking Trump’s Casus Belli in Syria April 26, 2017
- Requiem for the Suicided: the DC Madam April 25, 2017
- VIDEO: Corbyn lays out Labour’s campaign message for the coming election April 25, 2017
- US Provocation and North Korea: Pretext for War with China April 24, 2017
Looking for something?
CategoriesAletho News Civil Liberties Corruption Deception Economics Environmentalism Ethnic Cleansing, Racism, Zionism Fake News False Flag Terrorism Full Spectrum Dominance Illegal Occupation Islamophobia Mainstream Media, Warmongering Militarism Nuclear Power Progressive Hypocrite Science and Pseudo-Science Solidarity and Activism Subjugation - Torture Supremacism, Social Darwinism Timeless or most popular Video War Crimes Wars for Israel
Tags9/11 Afghanistan Africa AIPAC al-Qaeda Argentina BBC Benjamin Netanyahu Brazil Canada Central Intelligence Agency China CIA CNN Colombia Da’esh Donald Trump Egypt EU European Union FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation France Gaza Germany Hamas Hebron Hezbollah Hillary Clinton Honduras Human rights India International Solidarity Movement Iran Iraq Iraq War ISIL ISIS Israel Israeli settlement Japan Jerusalem John Kerry Latin America Lebanon Libya Mexico Middle East Military National Security Agency NATO New York Times North Korea NSA Obama Pakistan Palestine Press TV Qatar Russia Sanctions against Iran Saudi Arabia Syria The Guardian Turkey UK Ukraine United Nations United States USA Venezuela Washington Post West Bank Yemen Zionism
Contact:atheonews (at) gmail.com
This site is provided as a research and reference tool. Although we make every reasonable effort to ensure that the information and data provided at this site are useful, accurate, and current, we cannot guarantee that the information and data provided here will be error-free. By using this site, you assume all responsibility for and risk arising from your use of and reliance upon the contents of this site.
This site and the information available through it do not, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Should you require legal advice, you should consult your own attorney.
Nothing within this site or linked to by this site constitutes investment advice or medical advice.
Materials accessible from or added to this site by third parties, such as comments posted, are strictly the responsibility of the third party who added such materials or made them accessible and we neither endorse nor undertake to control, monitor, edit or assume responsibility for any such third-party material.
The posting of stories, commentaries, reports, documents and links (embedded or otherwise) on this site does not in any way, shape or form, implied or otherwise, necessarily express or suggest endorsement or support of any of such posted material or parts therein.
The word "alleged" is deemed to occur before the word "fraud." Since the rule of law still applies. To peasants, at least.
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more info go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
This is information for anyone that wishes to challenge our “fair use” of copyrighted material.
If you are a legal copyright holder or a designated agent for such and you believe that content residing on or accessible through our website infringes a copyright and falls outside the boundaries of “Fair Use”, please send a notice of infringement by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will respond and take necessary action immediately.
If notice is given of an alleged copyright violation we will act expeditiously to remove or disable access to the material(s) in question.
All 3rd party material posted on this website is copyright the respective owners / authors. Aletho News makes no claim of copyright on such material.
Site infoAletho News
Blog at WordPress.com.