Mauritanian Consensus Against French Intervention in Mali
Nouakchott – In light of widespread discontent among Mauritanians over the French military intervention in neighboring Mali, the French embassy is taking strict security measures to protect its citizens living in Mauritania.
There is a wide consensus among Mauritanians, regardless of political leanings, against French involvement in Mali, which many view as a return to colonialism.
This sentiment found expression in a fatwa, or religious edict, issued by 39 clerics and imams forbidding the Mauritanian government and people from cooperating with the invading countries.
The fatwa said that France’s real objective is to occupy northern Mali and that the intervention is “the continuation of an ongoing colonial campaign that has targeted many Muslim countries, from Palestine to Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan, and Somalia.”
Most of the country’s political parties agree with the clergy’s position, including the ruling Republican Party for Democracy and Renewal.
One of its leading members, Mohammad Ould Mham, denounced the French war, saying that it would have been better for Paris “to gather all the Malian parties around the negotiating table – only dialogue can avert a war in Mali and the region.”
Opposition party leaders such as Ahmed Ould Daddah also rejected French intervention in Mali, warning that Mauritanian participation in the war will have dangerous consequences for the country’s military. He added that Mali and Mauritania have historical and religious ties, as well as common interests which “the government has frittered away.”
Leftist opposition leader Mohammad Ould Mawloud also rejected the war against Mali, expressing concern that “Mauritania will be exposed to danger, particularly the eastern and southern provinces.”
The Mauritanian Party of Union and Change claimed that it was French colonialism that created the problem in northern Mali in the first place and now it has returned to ignite a war, the consequences of which no one can predict.
Two socialist-leaning opposition parties singled out France’s ruling Socialist Party for criticism, accusing it of being under the influence of Zionism.
In a joint statement, the parties pointed out French President François Hollande’s contradictory policies of supporting radical Islamist groups in Syria – not to mention allying Paris with the reactionary Islamist regimes of the Gulf – while at the same time waging war against them in Mali.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
No comments yet.
or go to
Where did the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) come from? How did this terrorist group go from an unknown phantom to seizing vast stretches of territory in Syria and Iraq in less than a year? Who is sponsoring ISIS and for what purpose? In a series of hard-hitting articles, Canadian writer Brandon Martinez uncovers the hidden hand of Israel and the West behind the meteoric rise of ISIS and the underlying Zionist destabilization agenda that it serves. Martinez cuts through mainstream media hype and disinformation which seeks to confound the masses about ISIS’s true origins as well as whitewash the critical role of the United States, Saudi Arabia and Israel in spawning the Takfiri militants who have besieged both Iraq and Syria. Martinez traces the roots of the conspiracy back to Israel’s Oded Yinon plan which aims to fracture and balkanize the Middle East.
Aletho News Exclusive Content
This article will examine some of the connections between the US and UK National Security apparatus and the appearance of the anthropogenic global warming (AGW) theory beginning after the accident at Three Mile Island. … continue
Also by Aletho News:
September 19, 2011
March 8, 2011
January 2, 2011
October 10, 2010
July 5, 2010
February 25, 2010
February 7, 2010
January 5, 2010
December 26, 2009
December 19, 2009
December 4, 2009
May 9, 2009
- Action Alert: Help free Hanan, arrested at Bil’in 10th anniversary demonstration March 4, 2015
- A decade of civil disobedience in my West Bank village March 2, 2015
- Four Palestinians and one female German demonstrator shot with live ammunition at “Open Shuhada Street” protest February 28, 2015
- Dancing children attacked by Israeli forces February 25, 2015
- “If you don’t open the door in 5 minutes, we will blow it up” February 24, 2015
- Fifty Years of Imperial Wars: Results and Perspectives March 1, 2015
TagsAfghanistan Africa al-Akhbar Al-Manar American Civil Liberties Union American Israel Public Affairs Committee Argentina Bashar al-Assad Benjamin Netanyahu Brazil Britain Canada Central Intelligence Agency China CIA Colombia East Jerusalem Egypt EU European Union FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation France Gaza Germany Hamas Hebron Hezbollah Honduras Hugo Chávez Human rights India Intelligence International Atomic Energy Agency International Solidarity Movement Internet Iran Iraq Iraq War Israel Israeli settlement Japan Jerusalem John Kerry Latin America Lebanon Libya Middle East Military National Security Agency NATO New York Times NSA Obama Pakistan Palestine Palestinian prisoners in Israel Police Press TV Russia Sanctions against Iran Saudi Arabia South America Syria Turkey UK Ukraine United Nations United States USA Venezuela Washington Post West Bank Yemen Zionism
Visits Since December 2009
- 2,064,342 hits
Contact:atheonews (at) gmail.com
Recent Aletho News Posts
- WHO urges limitation of daily sugar intake to less than 50 grams March 4, 2015
- United States is not “entitled to be displeased” with Cyprus – FM March 4, 2015
- 350 Israeli Soldiers Received Psychiatric Counseling After Gaza War: Report March 4, 2015
- Netanyahu’s False Narrative of Self-Defense March 4, 2015
- Congress Cheers Netanyahu’s Hatred of Iran March 4, 2015
- Making War on Everyone March 3, 2015
- Playing Chicken with Nuclear War March 3, 2015
- US ignores Russia’s offers of talks – Duma foreign relations chief March 3, 2015
- Nuclear safety incidents soar 54% at UK’s Clyde sub base & arms depot March 3, 2015
- Ukraine Conscripts 800 Protesting Coal Miners from Western Region March 2, 2015
- Tsarnaev attorney: Video of accused placing bomb down “does not exist” March 2, 2015
- Two Different Approaches, Two Different Results in Fighting Ebola March 2, 2015
- Google gives new meaning to “Orwellian” March 2, 2015
- US Military and NATO: Praetorian Guard of the Orwellian Empire March 2, 2015
- 12 US top political figures murdered like Boris Nemtsov March 2, 2015
- Who’s Scarier: Scott Walker or ‘Jihadi John’? March 2, 2015
- Social Media as Material Support for Terrorism March 2, 2015
- Ferguson police levied excessive traffic fines on blacks – DOJ leak March 2, 2015
Looking for something?
Categories"Hope and Change" Aletho News Civil Liberties Corruption Deception Economics Environmentalism Ethnic Cleansing, Racism, Zionism False Flag Terrorism Full Spectrum Dominance Illegal Occupation Islamophobia Mainstream Media, Warmongering Malthusian Ideology, Phony Scarcity Militarism Nuclear Power Science and Pseudo-Science Solidarity and Activism Subjugation - Torture Supremacism, Social Darwinism Timeless or most popular Video War Crimes Wars for Israel
This site is provided as a research and reference tool. Although we make every reasonable effort to ensure that the information and data provided at this site are useful, accurate, and current, we cannot guarantee that the information and data provided here will be error-free. By using this site, you assume all responsibility for and risk arising from your use of and reliance upon the contents of this site.
This site and the information available through it do not, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Should you require legal advice, you should consult your own attorney.
Nothing within this site or linked to by this site constitutes investment advice or medical advice.
Materials accessible from or added to this site by third parties, such as comments posted, are strictly the responsibility of the third party who added such materials or made them accessible and we neither endorse nor undertake to control, monitor, edit or assume responsibility for any such third-party material.
The posting of stories, commentaries, reports, documents and links (embedded or otherwise) on this site does not in any way, shape or form, implied or otherwise, necessarily express or suggest endorsement or support of any of such posted material or parts therein.
The word "alleged" is deemed to occur before the word "fraud." Since the rule of law still applies. To peasants, at least.
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more info go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
This is information for anyone that wishes to challenge our “fair use” of copyrighted material.
If you are a legal copyright holder or a designated agent for such and you believe that content residing on or accessible through our website infringes a copyright and falls outside the boundaries of “Fair Use”, please send a notice of infringement by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will respond and take necessary action immediately.
If notice is given of an alleged copyright violation we will act expeditiously to remove or disable access to the material(s) in question.
All 3rd party material posted on this website is copyright the respective owners / authors. Aletho News makes no claim of copyright on such material.