The ‘war’ for legitimacy is a war Israel may never win
By Adam Horowitz | December 29, 2009
While there is no doubt that Israel holds military superiority over any possible armed force it might go to war with, there is another threat that Israel appears to have no response for – moral outrage. The Jerusalem Post covers a new report which outlines Israel’s true Achilles heal. From the article “Hubs of delegitimization“:
A new report by the Reut Institute, a Tel Aviv-based national security and socioeconomic policy think tank, maps out the “new battlefield” in which Israel finds the legitimacy of its very existence attacked by a wide array of organizations and individuals in global centers like London, Toronto, Brussels, Madrid and Berkeley.
The report, which also makes recommendations for possible remedies, is to be presented next week to Israeli diplomatic officials, and will also be presented at the Herzliya Conference in January. The report’s authors spent two weeks in London interviewing some 45 people, including members of Muslim groups and anti-Zionist Jewish organizations, and academics, journalists, pollsters, jurists, activists and politicians.
Beginning with Israel’s traditional strategic concept, conceived by David Ben-Gurion, which posits that to win its wars, the IDF would have to take the fight to its enemies, the Reut report posits that increasingly, Israel cannot “win” its wars in the traditional sense as it is not up against conventional Arab armies, and there is no decisive victory over an enemy army to be had.
While there is still a physical existential threat posed by certain enemies (including unconventional terrorism), the new front focuses its attack on Israel’s political legitimacy, painting Israel as a pariah state, exhausting Israeli society, burdening its economy, and mobilizing Israel’s Arab minority as an anchor in the struggle against the Jewish state.
The key concept for this “Resistance Network” is overstretching Israel along the fault lines of demography, democracy (binational state vs a state of the Jewish people), Jewish identity and territory.
What does it mean that Israel views challenges to racist demographic priorities and simple calls to democracy as an existential threat? It is also interesting to note that later in the article the think tank’s recommendations ape the Israel settler “price tag” strategy for dealing with opponents (“establish a ‘price tag’ for attacking Israel and punish boycotters”).
At least this report seems honest about the near impossible task at hand – trying to sell Israel’s apartheid system to a liberal international public. Often times when Israel’s supporters try this it comes off looking like a sad joke. Like this op-ed in today’s Haaretz, where an Israeli settler compares herself to Rosa Parks:
Despite the fury and the insult, let’s not turn to violence. There is a simple, natural solution that is full of life – continuing to build. That will perhaps embarrass the prime minister in front of U.S. President Barack Obama, but that’s precisely the point. A person with a manual cement mixer in Samaria can change history. Sometimes the man in the field can be a lot stronger than the great leaders. Just like Rosa Parks.
Arguments like this are going to make the Reut Institute’s work much harder.
12 Comments »
or go to
From the Archives
By Nadezhda Kevorkova | RT | December 4, 2013
Until now, Israel has been getting away with anything it likes. A series of revolutions and counter-revolutions in the Arabic world has driven it into chaos, and seems to have pushed the Palestinian issue off the international agenda for good.
And yet Malaysia, a predominantly Muslim country, has now called a tribunal for war crimes and produced a genocide ruling – against whom?
Not against Assad, as one might have expected, but against Israel, the state that considers itself to be beyond the jurisdiction of any court or tribunal. … continue
Aletho News Exclusive Content
This article will examine some of the connections between the US and UK National Security apparatus and the appearance of the anthropogenic global warming (AGW) theory beginning after the accident at Three Mile Island. … continue
Also by Aletho News:
September 19, 2011
March 8, 2011
January 2, 2011
October 10, 2010
July 5, 2010
February 25, 2010
February 7, 2010
January 5, 2010
December 26, 2009
December 19, 2009
December 4, 2009
May 9, 2009
- Shimon Peres steps down, says world peace a "guiding principle" of Israel July 24, 2014
- Thousands march for Gaza in West Bank, casualties reported July 24, 2014
- Israeli forces bomb UNRWA school in Gaza, killing at least 15 July 24, 2014
- Hamas’ military wing to political leaders: we have the final say July 24, 2014
- Reports of ISIS female genital mutilation reportedly false July 24, 2014
- Substituting the Arab world’s international placenta with internal arteries July 24, 2014
- Iraqi parliament elects Kurdish politician president July 24, 2014
- UAE pays Hamas hush money after attempting to facilitate Dahlan’s return July 24, 2014
- All toxic chemicals removed from Syria reach destruction sites July 24, 2014
- Air Algerie wreck found in Mali: Burkina Faso army July 24, 2014
- Petras Books Clarify US Support for Zionism July 21, 2014
Categories"Hope and Change" Aletho News Civil Liberties Corruption Deception Economics Environmentalism Ethnic Cleansing, Racism, Zionism False Flag Terrorism Full Spectrum Dominance Illegal Occupation Islamophobia Mainstream Media, Warmongering Malthusian Ideology, Phony Scarcity Militarism Nuclear Power Science and Pseudo-Science Solidarity and Activism Subjugation - Torture Supremacism, Social Darwinism Timeless or most popular Video War Crimes Wars for Israel
Looking for something?
This site is provided as a research and reference tool. Although we make every reasonable effort to ensure that the information and data provided at this site are useful, accurate, and current, we cannot guarantee that the information and data provided here will be error-free. By using this site, you assume all responsibility for and risk arising from your use of and reliance upon the contents of this site.
This site and the information available through it do not, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Should you require legal advice, you should consult your own attorney.
Nothing within this site or linked to by this site constitutes investment advice or medical advice.
Materials accessible from or added to this site by third parties, such as comments posted, are strictly the responsibility of the third party who added such materials or made them accessible and we neither endorse nor undertake to control, monitor, edit or assume responsibility for any such third-party material.
The posting of stories, commentaries, reports, documents and links (embedded or otherwise) on this site does not in any way, shape or form, implied or otherwise, necessarily express or suggest endorsement or support of any of such posted material or parts therein.
The word "alleged" is deemed to occur before the word "fraud." Since the rule of law still applies. To peasants, at least.
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more info go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
This is information for anyone that wishes to challenge our “fair use” of copyrighted material.
If you are a legal copyright holder or a designated agent for such and you believe that content residing on or accessible through our website infringes a copyright and falls outside the boundaries of “Fair Use”, please send a notice of infringement by contacting email@example.com.
We will respond and take necessary action immediately.
If notice is given of an alleged copyright violation we will act expeditiously to remove or disable access to the material(s) in question.
All 3rd party material posted on this website is copyright the respective owners / authors. Aletho News makes no claim of copyright on such material.
Visits Since December 2009
- 1,805,452 hits
Contact:atheonews (at) gmail.com
- ‘They thought they were safe in a UN school’ July 24, 2014
- DC Cops Learn From FBI: Regularly Invent Crimes To Arrest ‘Possible Future’ Criminals July 24, 2014
- US lifts ban on flights to Israeli airport July 24, 2014
- Why Did Bernie Sanders Get Gaza So Wrong? July 24, 2014
- Journalist Speaks Truth to Employer, Demoted from “Contributor” to “Palestinian” July 24, 2014
- Israeli forces invade Azzun and use Palestinian civilians as human shields July 24, 2014
- Israeli forces bomb UNRWA school in Gaza, killing at least 15 July 24, 2014
- Journalist captured in E. Ukraine released, RT stringer remains hostage July 24, 2014
- Kiev sabotaging probe into downed Malaysian plane – self-defense leader July 24, 2014
- Fears Grow of Possible Massacre in East Khan Younis; Area Completely Cut Off Until Early Thursday July 24, 2014
- Hamas pricks Israel’s Soft Under-belly, Ben Gurion Airport July 24, 2014
- Medical Aid as a Weapon July 23, 2014
- Mississippi Cuts $1.3 Billion from Schools, Gives $1.3 Billion to Nissan July 23, 2014
- Why Are These Indian Children Being Torn Away From Their Homes? July 23, 2014
- How Have Latin America’s Political Leaders Responded to Israel’s Siege on Gaza? July 23, 2014
- Israeli military falsifies photograph to justify bombing el-Wafa hospital July 23, 2014
- European Killers Enjoy Fascist ‘Safari’ in Ukraine July 23, 2014
- Interview with an international human shield in Gaza July 23, 2014
TagsAfghanistan Africa al-Akhbar Al-Manar American Civil Liberties Union American Israel Public Affairs Committee Argentina Bashar al-Assad Benjamin Netanyahu Brazil Britain Canada Central Intelligence Agency China CIA Colombia East Jerusalem Egypt European Union FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation France Fukushima Gaza George W. Bush Germany Gilad Atzmon Hamas Hebron Hezbollah Honduras Hugo Chávez Human rights India Intelligence International Atomic Energy Agency International Middle East Media Center International Solidarity Movement Internet Iran Iraq Iraq War Israel Israeli settlement Japan Jerusalem John Kerry Latin America Lebanon Libya Ma'an Middle East National Security Agency NATO New York Times NSA Obama Pakistan Palestine Palestinian prisoners in Israel Press TV Russia Sanctions against Iran Saudi Arabia South America Syria Turkey UK Ukraine United Nations United States USA Venezuela West Bank Zionism